I see this post on Instagram every so often and it always makes me laugh:
Because it has totally happened to me. Like 8 million times.
Which is probably why I make this blended avocado salsa so often; it’s a great way to use slightly over-the-hill avocados. (It’s also delicious!)
But mushy avocados won’t work when you want to serve them sliced up all pretty in salads, or lined up neatly next to other goodies in tacos. For those recipes, you need a “perfectly-ripe” avocado. One that is soft and flavorful but will still hold its shape when you cut it.
Is it possible to have a perfectly-ripe avocado ready to go every day? Let’s think this through.
- You could go to the grocery store every morning and select your perfect avocado. (But then we probably can’t be friends because sometimes it’s noon before I realize I haven’t even brushed my teeth yet.)
- You could carefully select an assortment of avocados with varying firmness, and then use them as they gradually become ripe during the week. (I think my dad does this, but don’t tell him I told you.)
Or you could follow these THREE SIMPLE STEPS:
- Buy several hard avocados from the grocery store. (I usually buy a bag of four from Trader Joe’s. They’re always hard as rocks.)
- When you get home, set the avocados on the counter until they reach your desired ripeness. (With hard avocados, it takes about 2-3 days to get to “firm ripe,” which is what I prefer for slicing.)
- Once your avocados are as ripe as you want them, put them all in the refrigerator. The refrigeration will almost completely stop the ripening from that point, so the avocados will stay “perfectly ripe” in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
And then, anytime you want a perfectly-ripe avocado, there will be one waiting for you! Just pop it out of the fridge, slice it up and serve!
P.S. If you only want to use 1/2 avocado at a time, store the remaining half in a joie avocado keeper. (That’s a link to Amazon, but I think Whole Foods sells them, too.)
My sister-in-law gave me a joie avocado keeper for Christmas last year and it’s been a dream! After years of trying to keep avocados from blackening with saran wrap and lime juice, I was thrilled to find that half an avocado refrigerated in the joie will, 24 hours later, still be almost as green as it was when you first cut it!