Like my iceberg wedge salad, I love to serve chalupas as a build-your-own bar. The toppings are flexible; here, I suggest mashed pinto beans, shredded chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro lime sauce, cheese, and salsa. But don’t fret if you are missing a few. Also, instead of chicken, you could use seasoned ground beef or even ceviche. For picky kids, just beans and cheese is delicious.
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 8 chalupa shells (crispy fried corn tortillas)
- 1 tablespoon organic refined coconut oil (or other cooking oil)
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup Best Ever Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1 cup grated cheddar-jack cheese
- Place the chalupa shells on a plate and set aside.
- Place the oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. (If you use coconut oil, be sure to use one that has no coconut flavor.)
- Add the beans.
- Mash the beans with a fork or potato masher. Stir. When beans are just heated through, remove from heat.
- Set out your toppings in little bowls.
- To serve, spread about 1/4 cup mashed beans on each chalupa shell.
- Then add as many toppings as you wish, and enjoy!
Read more about this chef..