Sweet potatoes are terrific winter vegetable. These tubers are loaded with vitamins and minerals, including beta-carotene, vitamin C, fiber, copper, potassium, and iron, and—despite their name—they won’t cause your blood sugar to spike as rapidly as their paler counterparts. Even better, because these orange-fleshed root vegetables are naturally sweet, there’s no need to add loads of sugar to make them appealing to the taste buds. Just a little brown sugar and olive oil is all you really need!
Oven-Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 50 wedges
- Difficulty Level Easy
- Nonstick cooking spray or nonstick aluminum foil
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large potatoes), scrubbed and cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- Sprinkle of cayenne pepper, optional
- Kosher salt, for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Line large baking sheet with aluminum foil. (Or spray foil-lined baking sheet with nonstick spray.)
- In medium bowl, combine oil, sugar, and cayenne pepper if desired. Place the potatoes in a large bowl. Pour oil and sugar mixture over the potatoes; toss to coat. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and toss again.
- Spread wedges in single layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake wedges for 10 minutes; remove from oven and turn wedges. Bake again until wedges are tender and slightly caramelized, about 10 more minutes.
- Transfer potatoes wedges to serving dish and season with additional salt if needed. Serve warm.
Read more about this chef..