Poor beets. They have such a bad rap. (Just mentioning them makes John cringe.) It’s too bad because beets are nutritional powerhouses—filled with folate (listen up pregnant women), manganese, potassium, fiber, vitamin C, iron, and copper, but not a lot of calories. The best part? They’re easy to cook—just double wrap in foil and roast! The sweet, buttery flavor of roasted beets goes perfectly with salty feta cheese, a rich nut oil, and crunchy nuts.
Roasted Beet Salad with Feta and Nuts
- Prep Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 3 large beets, without greens
- 5 ounces mixed greens
- 3-4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup salted or candied nuts
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (or your favorite vinegar)
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (or your favorite oil)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Wash beets thoroughly under running water. (If they are particularly dirty, I like to use a potato brush to scrub them clean.)
- Wrap each beet twice in aluminum foil. Place wrapped beets in a baking dish. Roast in the oven for 2 to 2 ½ hours, or until beets are soft but not mushy. (For small beets, roast for 1 to 1 ½ hours.) When beets are cool enough to handle, remove aluminum foil.
- Then remove skins (they should slip off easily). I like to remove the skins under running water. The skins slip right off under the water and fall into the sink — so you don’t make a big red mess on your countertop. If the skins do not slip off when you rub gently on the beet, the beets probably need to be cooked a little longer, so wrap ‘em up and stick ‘em back in the oven for another 30 minutes or so.
- Slice beets into ½-inch thick slices. Or whatever shape you want.
- Place mixed greens on a large salad plate. Arrange beets over greens. Add halved tomatoes and nuts. Season with a small pinch of salt and pepper. Sprinkle crumbled cheese on top of everything.
- To make dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, salt, pepper, and oil. Spoon about half of the dressing over the salad and serve immediately. Pass extra dressing at the table.
- A little side note about presentation: If you toss this salad, the cheese will turn pink from the beets and the whole thing will look kind of messy. So, if you want to toss the salad, just toss the greens and tomatoes in the dressing. Then sprinkle the beets, nuts, and cheese on top.
Read more about this chef..