We make creamed spinach every year on Thanksgiving. In addition to serving creamed spinach on special occasions, I also love to serve it on any ol’ weeknight. It goes perfectly with a “Steakhouse Style” dinner, like seared steaks with mushrooms and onions and an easy iceberg wedge salad.
Steakhouse-Style Creamed Spinach
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour (you may leave this out if you prefer gluten/grain-free)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound baby spinach leaves (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add flour and salt; stir well. Cook for about 30 seconds. Add milk; stir well. Cook for about 30 seconds. Add cream cheese and nutmeg; cook, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted and mixture is thickened and well combined.
- Add spinach leaves; cook, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted and mixture is well combined. (Note: You can precook the spinach in the microwave or in another saucepan. This will make the spinach a little easier to work with as you mix it into the cheese mixture. On the other hand, you will have to dirty another pan or dish. Priorities, people.)
- Transfer to oven-proof serving dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top. Serve immediately, or place serving dish in warm oven for 3 to 4 minutes, until Parmesan begins to melt.
Read more about this chef..