Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 6 slices uncured bacon
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons maple syrup, depending on desired sweetness
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 6 white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- Place bacon in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and place on paper-towel lined plate to cool. Carefully pour the bacon grease (it will be hot!) from the pan into a small bowl. Turn off pan and let it cool a bit.
- Place spinach in a large bowl and set aside. Chop the cooled bacon into small pieces and set aside.
- Go back to the pan that you cooked the bacon in and put it on the stove over low heat. To the pan, carefully add 2 Tablespoons reserved bacon grease, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, 2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, 1-2 Tablespoons maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk to combine. Add sliced shallots and mushrooms to the warm dressing in the pan, and let them cook for about 3-4 minutes. Remove pan from heat, whisk again and then pour everything over the spinach. Gently toss salad with dressing.
- Divide the tossed salad between four plates. Sprinkle each with equal portions of chopped egg and bacon. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Note: If you forget to reserve the bacon grease or simply don't have enough, substitute with 1-2 Tablespoons additional olive oil.
Read more about this chef..